Recently in my Health & Wellness Potential class we have been discussing perspectives and models of wellness. I came across the First Nations Perspective on Health and Wellness, and I find it to be a really interesting and holistic approach to wellness.
- The inner circle represents the human beings responsibility for their own health and wellness – it begins with us.
- The second circle illustrates the importance of Mental, Emotional, Spiritual and Physical facets of a healthy, well, and balanced life. It is critically important that there is balance between these aspects of wellness and that they are all nurtured together to create a holistic level of well-being in which all four areas are strong and healthy.
- The third circle represents values that support wellness, these are: Respect, Wisdom, Responsibility & Relationships.
- The fourth circle depicts the people that surround us and the places from which we come. Nations, Family, Community and Land are crucial components of our healthy experience.
- The fifth and final circle represents the Social, Cultural, Economic and Environmental aspects of our health and well-being.